Saturday, February 13, 2010

Simplicity 2758

I made this skirt before I made the leggings from the last post. I have no skirts in my closet...this is my attempt to fem-ify my wardrobe a bit.




Here is a full view of the skirt. It's quite full, well, a half circle in fact. It is easy, but there are several factors that made it more time consuming for me. There was much ripping, picking and resewing.

1. My fabric was heavier than the pattern suggested. It is a fairly solid denim. I applied the pockets along the pattern lines, but the skirt did not hang properly. I had to place them higher and more to the side of the skirt. I prefer the pattern placement of the pockets instead of my placement, but what can you do?

2. Plus, the blankety blank fabric had a white line on the fold that I didn't notice until I cut out the skirt. I tried appliqueing a strip of denim over the white line. No good. I simply sliced out the white line and made seams in CF and CB where there were none.

3. I haven't made anything for my bottom half in a long time! First, the muslin skirt was too small. Then, the fashion fabric skirt was too big. I took it in, but at the final fitting, it was still too big. I tend to lose and gain inches every month, probably water due to my normal cycle. My solution was to add tabs and buttons to the back. These took enough fabric in for a comfortable fit. I can add another set of buttons if I need to take it out.




Here are the tabs:

Up next, a cardi set...the cami that I'm wearing with this skirt is part of that set.


1 comment: