Sunday, February 14, 2010

Banana Republic Envy

I got an ad from BR the other day in my email box. I fell in love with this sweater and decided to try copying it. With some help and suggestions from the PR group, I used McCalls pattern 5978.


This pattern has a V-neck instead of a rounded neckline, so that changes the look of my copy, but I didn't mind that. I also chose to use only one ruffle.
The cardi body and cami are made out of cotton rib knit. The ruffle is made from cheapo JetSet from Joanns. I chose it because it draped nicely and was the right color. I may regret that since I feel like the material might fall apart when I wash it. We shall see how it hold up.


I drafted a circular ruffle from scratch. I made the circumference of the inner donut shape the same as the neckline. It was super easy. Take a look at this Burda Style tutorial: here. I made a few changes to the pattern, but probably wouldn't make it again. It has the same old above the bust wrinkles that a non-darted, not well fitting t-shirt has. Pooh. It's wearable, so I'll try not to complain too much. I got 5 new patterns from Simplicity at Joanns...their $1 sales really get me going...hopefully I'll have another post soon!

4 comments:

  1. Nice cardigan. Thanks for pointing to the link on Burda Style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great copy of the BR sweater. I actually like the ruffle with the V neck rather than their rounded neckline. I just looked down at what I am wearing and realize my RTW sweater has the same 'V' neck with ruffle. No wonder I liked you sweater so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I was out shopping with a friend at BR (she was buying, not me!) and I loved that sweater. Stood over it longingly for quite some time. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version looks much better than the BR version! Have you tried it belted like the BR model did? I am working on the orginal pattern you have. Warning-I redrafted the neckline on the tank top since it was way too wide. One inch added all around the neckline worked out perfect.

    ReplyDelete