Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Annoying T-shirts...Fitting Fiascos

I've been sewing lots and lots of shirts. I started out with Kwik Sew 3338.


It's a perfectly fine pattern, but I had a tough time with the back. I've got a 10 inch difference between my waist and my hips. Without a CB seam, I don't think I'm going to get rid of the back wrinkles. I'm ok with that. I have a Vogue pattern to try that has princess seams...perhaps it will work for my back wrinkle problem. I was so focused on the back that I ignored the front above bust wrinkles.



I did get out my embroidery machine for this final Kwik Sew effort. I digitized an applique sketch and managed to make it work for this knit shirt!

Close up of the embroidery:

If anyone has a burning desire to stitch this out themselves, I'd be happy to share the file. It's an ART, so if you can use it, I'll give it to you! Email me.

Next I tried Vogue t-shirt pattern 8536.


After my first muslin, that was way stretchier than my fashion fabric, I figured everything was hunky dory. Before I launch into the fitting issues, I'd like to say that the cute little notched hem was a breeze to make and flatters a "hippy" figure like mine. I love that feature and will use it in the future.


The fashion fabric produced above the bust wrinkles, due to it's more robust stretch. The pattern is so busy that I can live with the wrinkles, but I'm reaching for a (maybe) unattainable perfect fit. I'd also like to say that this knit from Fabric.com is AWESOME! I'd wear it every day for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy.


The back:


I can live with a few little wrinkles, but just for the heck of it, I cut out a different shirt. I moved the bust point 1/2" lower, and came up with a slightly better fit. The weird sleeves are due to a shortage of fabric, not my desire to start a pink-sleeve-trend.



Hmmm...I shall check my bust points in the future. I would like to announce that t-shirts are incredibly goofy to fit. The variety and stretch of knits (and lack of pattern definition) makes for a challenging fit. For now, the shirts are slightly better than RTW. I also learned that V-necks are tricky...I made at least 4 practice necklines before I felt OK about it. I have SOOOOO much to learn.

Next up...a half circle skirt....Simplicity 2758.



I am attempting to start dressing in a more feminine way. I tend towards the jeans and tees every single day and am challenging myself to try some new things. This thinking also makes me wonder about fashion in general...and how people come up with their own personal fashion philosophies. If you have a strong opinion about how you dress, or a person who has been instrumental in your fashion sense, let me know! I'd love to hear.

8 comments:

  1. WOW!! you're not kidding about all the sewing! I am SO impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these shirts. My style has been that of a complete frump since outgrowing my wardrobe after baby #1. I don't like it. The theory is that I will be so annoyed that I'll lose the weight, but really what has been more effective is the proximity of my next high school reunion coinciding with a wedding I'm in. Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you have been BUSY!! Lookin' good! I'm definitely a california-casual type of girl. Though I recently embraced the "skinny jean"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shirts look great - I haven't been brave enough to try clothing yet! If you find anything out about how people decide what to wear - please share!! I usually pull on what's comfortable and stick with that... bo-ring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have been sewing a lot!! The shirts look great! I couldn't live without jeans, but recently I have been trying to add some more feminine looking shirts (a la Eddie Bauer as opposed to t-shirts) to my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you willing to be comissioned? i could use some snazzy duds too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out this New Mexico State University Sewing Extension publication - aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/c-228.html

    Approximately 3/4 of the way down the page, one adjustment for sway back alterations is shown.

    I think many of us, especially women, have sway backs. You need to take out some extra length at center back, but NOT at the side seams.

    So you'll pull out a very acute, triangular shaped bit of fabric.


    I pull out 5/8 to 1" in sway back adjustments depending on the pattern and company.

    It is easier to get a friend to pinch out the amount of width for you (each pattern will be different). You want him/her to carefully pin out the amount of length at center back to get the shirt hem to lay properly.


    HTH,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried New Look 6735? I had great success with that top. It has a center back seam, so that might be of help to you. I, too, have about 10-inch difference between waist and hips. Another suggestion is buy a whole bunch of the same knit (I've seen knits for 1.99 at fabric.com or Joann's clearance) and then master the fit on the pattern before trying a different knit on the same pattern. I can't believe the different amount of stretch in various knits. I like KS 3338, but in some knits, I have to move up a size because the knit is not as stretch.

    ReplyDelete